How to Get a Restricted Ignition Interlock License in Texas

December 3, 2018

One of the most challenging parts of a DUI is figuring out transportation afterward. It’s usually hard to find friends or family that can take you where you need to go. So, in some states, like Texas, a Restricted Ignition Interlock Driver’s License is an option that allows you to drive to appointments and work.

A restricted driver’s license is not the same thing as a suspended driver’s license. A restricted ignition interlock driver’s license allows you to operate a vehicle (usually with an ignition interlock installed). If you have a suspended license, you are not able to drive at all.

An ignition interlock is a device that’s wired into your vehicle’s ignition system and prevents the car from starting if presented with alcohol. The tool measures the alcohol in your system then temporarily “locks” the vehicle’s ignition if it detects a BrAC – breath alcohol concentration, over the set limit.

Restricted ignition interlock licenses are not available in all states. There are severe penalties for breaking the strict guidelines. Penalties include more fines, losing your driving privileges, additional time with an interlock and/or potential jail time. Keep in mind, you must often prove the need to have a restricted license before it is granted.

What are the strict guidelines for a Restricted Ignition Interlock License?

Usually, you will only be allowed to travel to and from work, to doctor’s appointments, to court appearances and counseling appointments, and to take your kids to school.

How do you get an ignition interlock?

According to Draeger, a fast, easy ignition interlock provider in Texas, you can get moving again quickly and discreetly! Start the process at and schedule an installation appointment. Remember to bring all the documents you need to that appointment. After installation, you’ll need to pay required Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) fees. You will be charged with the cost of installing and maintaining an ignition interlock. Make sure you file all the right compliance documents (certificate of completion, SR-22, etc.), if required. Once paid, DPS will issue a restricted ignition interlock license.

What’s next?

It’s important to remember your ignition interlock device  must be calibrated and inspected regularly to stay in compliance with your requirement. When your restriction period is over, simply contact Draeger to schedule your final service appointment.

Need help? We are here.

We can help you find the right attorneyfinancial providerinsurancecounseling and more. Just visit Many resources available are dedicated to helping you stay safe and recover. If you or someone you know needs help with addiction, locate an AA Group here.