When you get a DUI, you will encounter a surge of conflicting emotions, and it might take significant time for them to subside. It is important to remember that this flood of feelings will pass, you will make it out on top of your case, and in time, life will resume as normal.
There are many steps you’ll need to take to legally get through your arrest and charge, and even more steps you can take to manage the emotional burden of the accusation.
We have compiled advice from our clients to help you in your time of struggle. This is an initial list of ways to combat the guilt and shame of your DUI, how to weave through its legality and get your life back into its honorable, productive place.
How to Legally and Mentally Get Through a DUI
- Hire the best DUI attorney you can find. Working with a qualified, experienced DUI attorney will significantly alter your experience through your DUI arrest and case experience. If you can trust your lawyer to make the necessary moves for the best outcome of your case, and he or she can be completely transparent in your communication, a huge weight will be lifted off your shoulders. Understanding the steps on a need-to-know basis will veer your mind from worry and getting hung up on unlikely hypotheticals.
- Inform yourself. Ask questions, be completely educated on your DUI and the process ahead. You are using your money for your selected attorney; invest in a lawyer with the knowledge and experience to keep you in the know. At the beginning of the process, look to our information on My DUI Solutions so you can be prepared for what is ahead.
- Don’t get overwhelmed, proceed one step at a time. Right away, many necessary steps present themselves. Stay calm, focus on one solution at a time as you navigate your DUI and legal process. Your attorney will help you with each task at hand; focus on the element before you and don’t look too far ahead.
- Take the emotion out of the equation. This experience won’t last forever and you will get through it! Focus on that and don’t let a DUI redefine who you are. If you start to feel waves of guilt or anger, remember that this was a mistake and you are taking all necessary steps to make the situation better.
- Start taking steps toward your brighter future. By making changes and advances in your life that construct a hopeful journey ahead, you can face any surprises in your case with dignity. You know you are improving your life and your self, don’t let unforeseen obstacles weigh you down.
Remember, this time in your life will pass.
This is an obstacle to face, to fight through and to overcome. The severity of a DUI is nothing to overlook, but it is certainly not a reason to lose hope for a constructive future.
If you have been charged recently and need counsel on what happens when you get a DUI, reach out to My DUI Solution for actionable steps, completely judgment-free. Learn about what you need to do, shop for and connect directly with resources and save time and money in the pursuit toward regaining your regular life. We are here to help you navigate the process, and we are determined to see you through the end of the case, back on your feet and confident about moving forward without any residual impact from the experience.