It can be very hard to navigate through the DUI process and know exactly what you need to do to successfully complete everything you need to put your DUI behind you. Getting a great DUI lawyer on your side can be extremely helpful getting you through this long and difficult journey. If you have been arrested for a DUI, your first step should be to find a DUI lawyer who is experienced and trusted in DUI cases. When starting your search, here’s what to look for in a DUI lawyer.
You only have a short amount of time to find a lawyer so don’t get caught up sifting through lawyer pitches and scheduling appointments all over town to find your perfect match. Be confident and direct with your approach to finding the best attorney. Use this list and the MyDUISolution Provider Marketplace to connect with multiple DUI Lawyers at one time to compare and determine the best representation for you.
Here is a list of what to look for in a DUI Lawyer.
Background and experience
Find out the attorney’s background and experience before you meet. If you feel like they might be a match for you, ask more about their experience and background with charges like yours. Every DUI case is different, and you want to find an attorney with experience with cases similar to yours. Potential questions to ask might include:
- How long have they been defending DUI clients?
- Do they have any special certificates or training?
- NCDD – The National College for DUI Defense
- Some states will certify lawyers as “DUI Specialists” after passing tests.
- Do they take many cases to Trial? If so how often?
- What is their standard practice around negotiating plea agreements?
- How many DUI cases have they fought?
- What is their win / loss percentage?
Options, possible strategies, and predicted outcomes
Investigating the outcomes and strategies of the attorney’s past cases will help you decide if you’re going to like their approach. If you don’t find out these strategies before meeting them, make sure to talk about past strategies/outcomes when you meet. Your attorney should have several strategies for helping you through your case with precise and confident detail. Ask them about the possible outcomes for each strategy, and make sure that they include their worst-case predictions. Questions regarding outcomes for your case might include:
- What are the outcomes of my case with a guilty plea, a plea agreement, and a trial? Which do you recommend and why?
- Is there any chance to get my case dismissed or any evidence suppressed?
- Which factors in my casework for and against me for each proposed strategy?
DUI Case Management
Get a clear picture of how your case will be handled. Find out who will be available in your case, if other lawyers at the firm will be involved, who will be your point-person for questions and how often you can get updates. A DUI case has several intimating outcomes, so feeling out of the loop during your trial can be extremely unnerving and stressful. Avoid unnecessary fixation on negative outcomes by establishing exactly how you will stay informed throughout the experience. A couple of questions to ask regarding case management might include:
- Who do I contact with questions and how soon is a standard reply?
- How often will you issue a status update on my case and what will it include?
DUI Fees/costs and payment options
Prices can often be a deciding factor when hiring your lawyer. Make sure that you are aware of all additional fees that could be associated with their involvement in your DUI. Usually, going to Trial will increase the costs so make sure this is well outlined early on so you can secure the right amount of funds early on.
Even if you have the savings you should secure funds for you DUI through a financial institution. Attorney’s fees are just the beginning of the costs with a DUI and it is much harder to get financed later with no money in the bank. Regardless of your credit or savings situation, you can visit the MyDUISolution Marketplace and connect with funding sources for all situations. Questions for your potential lawyer in regard to costs and fees may include:
- Will I pay a flat fee or pay by the hour? What are the best and worst-case cost scenarios?
- What are my payment options?
Hopefully this will help you know what to look for in a DUI lawyer. Visit to the MyDUISolution Marketplace to compare attorneys, financing sources, and any other DUI resources you would need to get through your DUI case as smoothly and securely as possibly.